International Applicants

We warmly welcome applications from international students (this includes students from the EU). Markfield Institute has been welcoming international students for over 20 years. Rest assured that whilst away from home, the support you need in terms of your studies and personal welfare will be provided. Our admissions department is happy to answer any questions you may have whilst considering your application to MIHE. Please feel free to contact us.


To gain a place at Markfield Institute you will need to meet our general entry requirements (set by the UKVI) and the specific entry requirements of your chosen course. Your application will be reviewed by the Admissions Staff for your course, who will decide whether your application should receive an offer. Specific entrance requirements for individual courses can be found on individual course pages on this website. Entry to our postgraduate programmes usually requires a good Honours degree, or equivalent if you were educated outside the UK.


MIHE accepts a diverse range of qualifications, this includes considering prior learning as credit towards your degree. You can apply to be exempt from taking certain modules on your degree at MIHE if you have obtained relevant qualifications or experience. Credit transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) are two ways in which your previous education, training or experience can contribute to a new qualification. Please click here for further information on the Institute’s policy on Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning.


Entry Requirements for International Applicants


Overseas applicants must ensure they comply with these UKVI requirements:


Entry qualification: Applicants holding non-UK qualifications will require confirmation that they possess the UK equivalent of their overseas qualifications and must produce a valid certificate from the National Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom (UK NARIC)


English Proficiency: Overseas applicants are required to demonstrate their proficiency in English. MIHE adheres to the Home Office approved Secure English Language Tests (SELTs) as evidence of English language ability. Applicants must take the IELTS Academic for UKVI test. They must achieve the required scores on the IELTS examination, irrespective of whether they hold other qualifications in the English language. 


Please note that MIHE cannot accept any other documents such as school letters or references as proof of English proficiency and that General English IELTS test results and IELTS tests that are not from a UKVI approved test centre will not be accepted.


For a list of UKVI approved test centres please use the following link: UKVI approved test centres.


Entry Qualifications for undergraduate programmes: For all undergraduate programmes:  international applicants are expected to achieve school leaving qualifications which are equivalent to those achieved by British students (e.g. A-Level equivalent), and ensure they have achieved a Level B2 in English, as specified by the UKVI (this is normally an IELTS Academic English qualification as mentioned above). Applicants will need to achieve an average score of 5.5 in their IELTS test (with a minimum of 5.5 in each of the four sub-components of language learning (reading, writing, speaking and listening).


Entry Qualifications for postgraduate programmes: The normal entry requirements for all postgraduate pathways will be a good honours degree (equivalent to Level 6) from a UK university or an equivalent from an overseas university. Degree qualifications must be confirmed by NARIC as equivalent, and adhere to the UKVI’s English language requirements.  For all postgraduate pathways, applicants will need to have achieved an average score of 6.5 in their IELTS test, with a minimum of 6.0 in each of the four sub-components of language learning (reading, writing, speaking and listening). 


Applicants are also assessed on the basis of their academic performance. Mature applicants or applicants who do not hold conventional Level 6 qualifications may be considered on the basis of their professional level qualifications and/or experience in accordance with the Institute’s Recognition of Prior Learning policy. Such candidates may be admitted through the Institute’s Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) procedures. In addition, students who hold additional qualifications in cognate areas or possess considerable professional experience may also be exempted, with up to a maximum of 80 level 7 credits via the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.

How to Apply


If you wish to join any of our programmes, please complete all sections of the online Application Form (available on our website), including details of your academic qualifications, immigration history and outline your motivation for applying for your chosen course. Please complete all sections of the application form and send it with any supporting documents by email to .


Please note that failure to complete all sections of the Application Form or submission of all the required documentation may cause delays in processing your application.


Two intakes take place during each academic year: one in September and one in January. International applications must be received in plenty of time before the start of the semester, as they take longer to process and applicants require sufficient time to apply for their visa and make travel arrangements.


These are the documents required in order for us to process your application:

  • Completed Application Form 
  • Copy of your current valid passport
  • Immigration history (details of previous visas and visa refusals)
  • UKVI IELTS for Academic Purposes from a UKVI approved test centre 
  • Copies of academic qualification certificates
  • UK NARIC Statement of Comparability for your highest level of qualification
  • Verified Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) / Copy of the Entry Clearance Visa (Document) if available


NOTE: As the Markfield Institute is a private organisation, overseas students are not eligible to work in the UK during the period of their study. They are not permitted to bring any of their dependents. In addition, international applicants are not permitted to study on a part-time basis.


International students are permitted to seek work in the UK once they have completed their studies. For this you will need to apply for a Graduate Visa with the cooperation of your employer. A Graduate Visa grants permission to remain in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing a course in the UK. You must be in the UK when you apply. Please see here for further details.


Once the above documents have been received, MIHE will contact you to arrange an online interview. If you are successful, the next step is to issue a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) statement so you can apply for a visa. In order for MIHE to issue the CAS statement, MIHE will ensure the following is in place:


To be eligible for a CAS, your offer must be unconditional, you must have completed all steps of the acceptance process (including paying an acceptance fee if applicable), you must have provided us with evidence that you meet all UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) entry qualifications, and English Language and financial requirements, so that we can be sure that your application will not be refused on financial grounds. To apply for a visa as a student, you must have 70 points in the points assessment. You can score:


  • 50 points for having a valid confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) statement
  • 10 points for having enough money (maintenance or funds) to cover your course fees and living costs. The money you need depends on the length and location of your course. To score 10 points you must show you can pay the course fees for your first period of study (normally for the first year of the course) and your living costs for up to nine months. If you are self-funded you can provide one of the following documents: A personal bank statement, no more than 31 days old at the time of your Student visa application, showing that you have held the required funds for 28 consecutive days, or a letter from your bank, no more than 31 days old, confirming the amount of funds in the account and that they have been there for 28 consecutive days. Please see the following link for details: Money you need to study in the UK: click here
  • 10 points for meeting the English language requirement


In view of the above, MIHE will only issue you with an offer and a CAS statement when the following are completed/received:


  • Tuition Fees for the first year of your study are paid in full;
  • Bank Statement showing required maintenance funds (you should ensure that money is in your bank account for the last 28 days or more). You will need to show that you have sufficient ‘maintenance’ funds for your stay in the UK to a maximum of 9 months of funds, even if your course is longer. This is to cover living expenses whilst you are studying. 


Students on a Student Visa need to note that during their stay in the UK they cannot:


  • work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business;
  • extend this visa;
  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with them – they must apply separately;
  • obtain public funds.



Self-catering accommodation is available onsite with separate quarters for men and women. As there are only a limited number of rooms, allocations are made on a first come first served basis. 


The Institute does not provide accommodation directly. Limited accommodation facilities are provided on the campus by the Markfield Conference Centre. You will need to contact them directly on 01530 244944 to make arrangements if you wish to stay on campus. 


Alternatively, students may choose to find their own accommodation in Markfield or nearby Leicester and Loughborough. Prices will vary depending on the location and the condition of the accommodation.

Fees and Funding


The tuition fee for International Students is £7,000/year for all BA programmes and £8,500/year for all MA programmes.

What’s included? The fee includes registration, tuition, examination/assessment marking and graduation.

It excludes: study materials, re-examination (re-takes), residential accommodation, meals, travel, graduation robes, and photographs.

Useful Links


General UKVI (UK Visa and Immigrations) guidance for the Student Visa route can be found through the following links:



Please also see the following:


The UKCISA Code of Ethics, which is intended for all those advising international students. It sets out the principles of professionalism and best practice to which UKCISA would expect adherence to: 


  • The UKCISA Code of Ethics and its Commentary 
  • Regarding advice and guidance on qualifications from overseas countries, please see the European network of Information Centres (ENIC) and the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC): click here
    • In particular for statement for comparability of overseas qualifications with the UK, see here


If you need any further advice or assistance please email us at